When people find out that I am dating a South Asian man, one of the first things that I am usually asked about is food. Actually, it turns out that our tastes in food are more similar than I expected. Although I can't handle too much spiciness, I loved South Asian food as soon as I tried it. P is a very picky eater and prefers to avoid beef. He does this not so much for religious reasons, but more because he's just not used to eating it. After living with Muslims for the past four years, he's also come to avoid pork. Luckily, I've never liked red meat, and haven't eaten it since I was forced to as a child. Although P is still picky, he has come to like and even ask for some "typical American foods" that he thought he didn't like before.
I am very thankful to P for introducing me to so many foods that I love so much and probably would have never tried if not for him. Although I don't think that I'll ever fully warm up to certain parts of his culture, like eating with the hands, being with P has definitely forced me to broaden my horizons.
Us eating kulfi with friends, who were edited out of the picture in respect of their privacy.
Please feel free to make suggestions for future posts in my comments!

So how are things going these days? Are you two still together?
ReplyDelete